What an exciting month it's been! The second week of January we finished our adoption papers with DSHS. On the third week we met with our attorney and signed adoption papers. Then our adoption day was scheduled for January 28th (also Uncle Nathan's Brithday)! That only gave our friends and family 1-2 weeks notice of our special day and party. But family is amazing and so supportive. Between Family and Costco (lol) I think were ready! This has been one of the smoothest adoptions I have ever heard of. No delays or "hiccups" in the process. We had our last visit from our caseworker and she remarked that this was the first visit she'd heard JJ refer to me as "mom". She also told us to give her a call when/if we feel "the itch" again. I told her it would be a little while to continue settling in but that we'd definately be calling her in the future.
JJ also gave me something very special this month, her "worry box." She has a box she made with glass pebbles in it. She was instructed by her counselor that each pebble can hold many worries. We followed up with the fact she can also tell her worries to God and He will listen and take care of them. At home one day she brought me her box and said, "Here, Mom, I don't need this anymore." We talked about it and I put it in a safe place in my dresser and offered to give it back several times when she said she was worried, but she didn't want it. How symbolic. She trusts me with her worries! Baby steps...
Then the anxiety of meeting the "Judge" on adoption day set in. For two solid weeks, our home has been back to "August tantrums". Baby steps.... ...one day at a time, one tantrum at a time, one fear at a time God's carrying us through. They are both excited, but also anxious. Caleb just wants to make sure we have chocolate cake! When I post again, we'll all be Sorensens!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



What a blessing you guys, I am so happy for you both, I will be praying that they will adjust quickly and that they will see God's love it both of you. Please tell the kids that people in Africa are praying for them.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! I'm so glad you started a blog, it's a great way to keep (and share) your memories! Look forward to reading lots more stories, still praying all goes smoothly with the official adoption!
ReplyDeleteTHank for the prayers, I did get a chance to talk to JJ about being adopted into "God's family" this month. Plant and water, plant and water...
ReplyDelete